Cybersecurity has been a major concern for enterprises and organizations across industries and regions. Big brands have suffered because of things like identity theft, data breach, and security compromises. The consequences of a cyberattack is not limited to financial and revenue losses alone. It can cause repute damage beyond repair, and often, it takes a considerable amount of time to recover from the impact. Figuring out online vulnerability and taking a proactive stance towards cybersecurity are necessary steps towards preventing a breach, and in this post, we are sharing details that may come in handy.
What are the common causes of data breaches?
Hackers and cybercriminals always look for vulnerabilities that they can exploit. The basic idea is often about infiltrating a system, so that data can be accessed easily. Some of the most common causes of data breach include –
- Stolen passwords
- Weak & default passwords
- Misused of privileged accounts
- Malware & phishing attacks
- Using unpatched software and apps
- Too many old software on the system
- Social engineering
- Physical attacks
Identifying these causes can help in finding solutions. For example, if you think someone has been misusing their account or has been checking untrusted websites, you can choose to question them immediately.
What the best solutions for preventing cyberattacks and data breaches?
- Always ensure that default passwords are changed immediately. Ensure passwords are at least 12 characters long, have upper & lowercase letters with special characters. Train your employees to use strong passwords.
- Check access rights. Access rights must be evaluated and checked from time to time. For example, when an employee leaves the organization, their rights and access to accounts should be revolved immediately.
- Reduce possibilities of physical attacks. Although less likely as compared to cyberattack, physical attacks can be detrimental to your organization. Install the best surveillance systems and IP cameras for the premises.
- Use firewalls and network segmentation. Network segmentation basically means that the entire network is segmented into modules, so that attack on one doesn’t impact others. Firewalls work as a barrier between your systems & apps and untrusted networks.
- Update and patch firmware & software. Ensure that all firmware and software programs are updated and are running on the latest version. If you have figured out a bug, consider seeking help from the manufacturers.
Take these steps and you may not have to constantly worry about a data breach.